Thursday, May 17, 2007

Wheat Free Treats....

Woo Woo to all! Several of you wanted to know if I had any wheat free cookies. Or if there was a substitute to the recipe I posted the other day. Well first off, mom says that you can go to a health food store and get soy, rye or oat flour to substitute for the wheat flour. Then, you can just omit the wheat germ.

I also found this recipe. Maybe some of you who are allergic to Wheat can try out the recipe below. It does look yummy!!! Also, Indy may have some thoughts. I know his mom is working on a doggy cookbook and he is allergic to wheat and some other things too (I think). So, she may have some recipes to share with all of us :) I also think that Holly's brother Sam is allergic to some stuff. So, Holly's mom may have some to share too :)

Hugs and Kisses....

Wheat-Free Scotty Biscuits
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup rye flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk

Combine oatmeal, 3/4 cup of the rye flour, sugar and butter together. Slowly add the milk till a firm but slightly sticky dough forms. Scrape out dough onto a wooden board or counter. Knead in the rest of the rye flour till the dough stiffens a little. Wrap in saran wrap and chill for one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough till 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes ( I like to use scotty dog cutters). Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let biscuits rest till cool in oven with the door closed. Store in air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.

9 comments:

Putter said...

Hi Sitka!

Thanks for this great recipee ... Mom has been looking for something like this cause my tummy is a little sensitive to wheat you know ... :) I bet these will be very tasty!

Your Friend,

Putter ...:)

Holly said...

My human has to substitute the oat flour cuz of stupid Sam's allergies, but they still taste really good. I will try to get my recipes posted real soon. Mom needs to make some more this weekend, so I'll have her write down what she has been using. Usually she just dumps a bunch of stuff in and stirs it up.

Holly

Boo said...

sitka,

great recipe but unfortunately my mom is... slow in the baking department. :(

i wonder why so many dogs are allergy to wheat? sunshade is another one.

btw, i have added you to my doggie friend list. hope you don't mind.

wet wet licks

Boo

Sophie Brador said...

Hey Sitka, Long time no visit! Good to see you are perfecting your baking skills. I'll be right over!

Snowball said...

Hi Sitka, Nice recipe. My human always hope that I am less fussy over thing that I eat. Do you think we can add in stuff such as chicken liver into it to make it tastier(or will it be)? :>

Luv n licks
Snowball

Oscar Airedale said...

Mmm, thank you Sitka. Hopefully we can try this out over the weekend!

Licks
Oscar x

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh cookie receipe... I wonder when my human will bake ccookies for me...

~ Girl girl

Ferndoggle said...

Our Mom uses Oatmeal or Buckwheat flour in all of our treats. We're healthier than she is!!! She may make some of these this weekend!

Sherman, Penny & Lola

Suki said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe, Sitka! And thanks to you and your mommy and daddy for helping out my mom so much! She really appreciates it :)

Puggy kisses
Suki