Friday, June 1, 2007

Vet Visits.....

Woo Hoo everyone (and Girl Girl too)...

My mom asked that I do a favor for her since I go to see my vet for my yearly check-up and shots at the end of this month. She asked me to post some questions for her concerning vet visit tests and heartworm medicines.

She would like to know the following from all of you smart pups out there:

1. What all tests do you have done on you? Mom wonders if there is anything else that she should have tested on me. Per my bill from last year, I received the following - Heartworm/Lyme/Ehrlichia Tests, Intestinal Parasite Exam, Rabies Shot, Annual DHPPC and annual welliness exam.

2. When mom took Tia last August to the vet (although she was a very sick kitty), she had a full Chem Profile/CBC ran on her. Should mom have a full blood work-up done on me every year (even if I am healthy or appear to be healthy after my yearly exam)???

3. Mom has heard from some other pup's moms that they use Interceptor over Heartgard. What do you use? I have been on Heartgard since I was allowed to start taking it (I am 3 right now).

Well friends... sorry there is nothing more exciting to report for today. I can say that last night, we got about 15 minutes of RAIN! We have been about 48 days without rain, so last night the humans opened up the porch door so they could hear it!!!

I leave you with a cute photo of myself having a taste of Tia's water that she gets on the coffee table downstairs.... This is the ONLY thing that I am allowed to have a sample of from the coffee table without asking for permission!!!

12 comments:

Shmoo said...

Hey Sitka,

First of all, your human sent me a link to some Georgia Bulldog football site (um... does the SPCA know that Georgia is forcing poor bulldogs to play football? I think I need to make a phone call).

Luckily I knew how to find your blog.

To answer your questions:
1.) that's about all you need.

2.) You're still young and probably don't need a CBC and Chem 7, unless you've never had one. If you've never had one, then I'd recommend that you get one, that way you have a baseline to compare with in case you get sickly, or when you get older.

3.) we use interceptor, mainly because it came out and was the first to help control other types of parasites. Check with your vet, I'm pretty sure Heartgard now also controls worms and other things as well, so if you do well on that, and it controls other parasites, then stick with it. Its all the same junk pretty much.

Meeshka
(I'm not a doctor, but I watch one on tv)

Sitka and Tia's BLAWG! said...

Ha roo Meeshka... yeah, my human gave you the link to my dad's blog. Sorry!!! She is nutso sometimes!!!

Thanks for responding to my questions. I think I had a CBC and Chem 7 when I was fixed (about 2 and half years ago). Do you think I need to get an updated one or would that one be fine?

I did have mom check both heartgard and interceptor's sites... the only thing that interceptor covers that heartgard doesn't is whipworm.

Thanks again Meeshka :)
Hugs,
Sitka

Holly said...

Ummmm, yeah, what Meeshka said, and all that. Ditto.

I like your water drinking pic. Looks like you are really enjoying yourself! Do you eat ice cubes too? I LOVE ice cubes!

Holly

Guinness & Shiloh's Mommy said...

Shiloh here: I LUUUV ice cubes! Any time mom or dad gets ice I expect at least one for myself. One of our fosters used to sneak mom's coffee off of the the coffee table. Jake was a laid back fellow - maybe he needed perking up?

I think the advise the other pups gave you is good.

Thor said...

Aroooooooooooo, ICE!! Ice is wonderful, especially when it's hot outside!

The advice you're getting is good. Heartgard and Interceptor are pretty much the same, but Heartgard tastes better. There was another heartworm medicine too, that was a shot and good for six months at a time. Mom's not sure it's still on the market, since we don't use it.

The CBC is something you generally get before surgery or if there's a reason. If there's no reason, you don't have to get it yearly. Hope this helps!

Woos,
Thor

Tasha & Eva said...

You got really good advice from the other pups. It all sounds right. Isn't it great that your humans care so much about you and Tia? Humans are wonderful, but strange, too! Great picture of you drinking from Tia's glass! Belly Rubs, Tasha & Eva.

D'Azul Siberian said...

Hard to give advice on vet visits. Our mom says there are different vectors and what may be good here is not good someplace else. We have used Ivomec for heartworm and other types of worms for years now. You can drop our mom an email and she can fill you in on all the details.

The D'Azul Siberians

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

We don't have any advice for you since we haven't gotten into the "regular" vet visits yet.

We did want to ask you what computer program you used to make your favicon because we think ours looks stupid.

Steve and Kat

Sooky said...

I am also too young to give you and vet advice but I do love ice cubes, Good Luck at the vet,
Sooky

Tadpole said...

I also get medicine for board-a-tell-ah or something like that (for kennel cough), but that's just because my girl is paranoid. If you ever go to a kennel, you're required to have it (in Illinois, at least...) but I don't know if you ever are abandoned like that.

Oscar Airedale said...

Oooh, I don't know about the vets stuff apart from we don't have heartworm here in England. I think I am nearly due my booster jabs for other things though, eek!

Licks
Oscar x

The Daily Echo said...

Hey, I want a water glass instead of a water bowl! I'll have to mention that to Mom. Meeka says he wants his in a champagne glass cause he's royal. We take Heartguard every month. Seems to do the trick so far.
ECHO