Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tia - At the Vet

Wooo Friends.....

Today was a long day for mom and dad. They had to take Tia to the kitty hospital. They had to take her blood and admit her for some extra care for the next 5 days. I am gonna pass my blog over to mom so she can share the details with you all. I miss my big sis and hope she gets better soon and comes home a healthy kitty. Tomorrow is her 15th birthday and I really wanted to spend the day with her.

Hugs and Kisses - Sitka

Hi everyone, Shelli here. Here is what is going on. It feels like today has lasted for several days. We have gotten home and settled in. Sitka has been through the house looking for Tia. All she knows is we left with her and came back smelling like her, but did not bring her home with us.

Here is what happened. She ate her dinner last night and seemed fine. She gets dry Innova (when she wants it) and wet Innova in the am and pm. We fed her the wet last night, she ate it all. She threw up somewhere after Midnight. It was just clear, mucus stuff. She threw up two more times before 8am, and again at 9 this morning. She was looking very mopey. I put her on her blanket downstairs and she just slept, yet reacted when I called her name. We (husband and Sitka) left at 10 and went to Petsmart (to get Tia some birthday pressies) and ran a few other errands. We returned home around 12. I had tried to give her a piece of ham and she turned her nose up at it. Umm… This cat never turns her nose up at ham. She threw up again around 12:40. I told Jeremy something was wrong and we needed to find a vet to take her to since hers closed at 12:30. I did not want to take her to the emergency vet (since it is 300 bucks to walk in the door) if I could help it. So, we found one who closed at 1:30 and said they would see us. So, we literally raced over there. He was finishing up with a patient, so we had to wait, but that gave Tia some time to calm down (since this cat never leaves the house).

Anyways, we really liked him. He explained everything before he did it. He told us what he thought the issue was given what we told him, then he the only way to figure out what it is was to blood work, and asked if we consented. Oh course! These animals are my kids and I am going to do anything and everything in my power to give them the care they rightfully deserve. So, he did a full blood work up and electrolytes as well (since we know Tia has a potassium deficiency). He also did a urinalysis. Here are the results from that:

Spec. Grav. 1.005
PH 7.0
Leucocytes ++
Protein 30
Nirtite – Neg
Ketones – Neg
Bilirubin +
Blood – Neg
Hemoglobin - 1

The blood work came back to what he figured our issue would be. It shows that she has Pancreatitis. Everything was in the normal range except her Lipacyte (sp?) was 1865 U/L (normal range is 100-1400). Her Glucose was also up – 196 mg/dl (normal is 71-159). He said he is not really worried about the Glucose as it may just be elevated because she was dehydrated. There were some other things that came up in the high range (These are the different parts of what was out of wack, I think):

HCT – 49.7% (preferred 24-45)
HGB – 15.2 g/dl (preferred 8-15)
GRANS – 15.8 x10(9)/L (preferred 2.5 – 12.5)

So, basically she will be there through Wednesday. She is hooked up to an IV. All we had to leave with her was a sheet we keep in the car for Sitka. At least it smelled like her and us from being in the car. The vet will be there tomorrow morning and evening. He said we could just call, and if he is there, we can come over and see her. I feel so helpless, but I know she is somewhere where she can get the help she needs. She will be on Science Diet i/d (I think is what he said) when she comes home. Good thing I did not go to the store today to get her more Innova. I just hate that my baby won’t be home tomorrow to celebrate her 15th birthday.

Anyways, that is where we are at the moment. I kissed her and gave her all kinds of loving. I miss my baby and I hope she gets better soon so she can come back home with me. Here is a photo of her right before we left her at the vet this evening.



Please send your thoughts and prayers that my baby (and Sitka's big sister) gets better soon!!!
Hugs - Shelli

36 comments:

Ruby Bleu said...

Oh Shelli!!! I'm so sorry...I am totally teary eyed right now. Hang in there Ruby and I are thinking good thoughts for you all!!! Tia is one strong girl!!!

Hugs - Michele & Ruby

MONA AND THE MOMMY! said...

So sorry Tia be so sick...me and the Mommy will say lots of prays for her.

me want ya to cover over and tell me what breed Copper be

bet ya can't guess!!

Maggie & Mitch said...

We're sending major AireZen Tia's way! She just has to get well soon! She has a birthday to celebrate! Feel better soon, Tia!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Hammer said...

Hi Shelli and Sitka
We are so sorry to hear about Tia. We'll keep our paws and fingers crossed Tia will be home very soon. It's sad she will be spending her 15th Birthday at the vet practice. She'll have to make up for this when she's back home.
Love from Hammer

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Woo know how we are feelin' -

We want Tia home to play with you and fur woo to show her your khool Sibe moves -

Paws khrossed for Miss Tia to be home as soon as the nice dokhtor says so!

Wags & WUV,
Khyra

Mack said...

Hello everyone.
Me & mom are saying a special prayer for Tia today (and also for Sitka's lonliness!)
Mom has a friend who has a male Siamese (named Puddin) who has pancreatitis. He just celebrated his 20th birthday! She says he is doing well on his meds and does need fluids often, but other than that he is one sassy old man!
You are all in our thoughts and prayers!
Love,
Mack

The Husky in the Window said...

We are sending lots of husky hugs and good vibes to all of you. We want her to come home too! We'll keep checking. Let us know.

Husky Hugs and Kisses,
MayaMarie, Missy, Bella
and Gerri

Snowball said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snowball said...

I hope Tia is feeling better. Perhaps to have the bash at the vet office. We can get permission from the vet to go there to cheer her up a little. We can go to the resort again after Tia had recovered.

Shelli, think positive and take good care of yourself. Our thoughts is with Tia and your family.

Luv,
Snowball

4xBs said...

awwww, we are sorry that Tia is sick. we are sending out best poodle-vibes to help her get better very fast. we hope you get to visit her on her birthday. give extra hugs to Sitka!

woofers.

Sassy Kat said...

My thought and prayers are with ya and your family. I hope Tia gets better soon. When she is well be will truly celebrate her birthday. Each day Tia will start to feel better.

Asta said...

Shelli and Sitka,

I am so sowwy that Tia is sick..we awe pwaying fow hew and sending all ouw love and healing tewwiew vibes..we will celebwate when she gets home!!!
Don't be sad and wowwied Sitka, youw sissy needs youw good thoughts and love and so does youw Mom
smoochie kisses
Asta

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Tia, please get better soon! I left something special for you on my blog.

Wilbur

MoMo said...

So sorry to hear that Tia is so sick. I am purring and purraying for her to get better. I haven't been here before, but Asta told me about her.

Lorenza said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Sure Tia is in good hands and will get better soon!
Good vibes for her and all of you.
Paws crossed.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

The Brat Pack said...

Oh Shelli! We're just catching up on blogs and saw Wilbur's posts, I thought my stomach was going to revolt. We're thinking about you all and sending good vibes. If there is ANYTHING I can do let me know. I know how horrible it is to sit and wait and worry.

If it's any consolation when Samantha got sick for the first time and was diagnosed w/ Pancreatitis a few days and the right diet made all of the difference in the world. I hope it's the same for Tia.

Give Sitka hugs and kisses from us please....and keep in touch.

Maryann & The Brats

Faya said...

Oh Shelli, we are so sorry to hear about the poor Tia. I hope she will be fine soon.
Kisses, VĂ©ronique & Faya

Amber-Mae said...

Sorry to hear that poor Tia is sick. Today is such a sad sad day becoz we just lost one of our new friends, Clive. I hope the IV drops will help to wash her out & rehydrate her...

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Marvin - Braveheart Hound said...

Shelli, my paws are crossed for dear Tia, so sorry to hear the news.

Hope she gets better real soon, sending lots of love and healing licks to Tia.

Take care, love and licks, Marvin xxxxx

Shelli - thinking of you and Tia, and Sitka of course. Hurry home soon Tia!

love and light Jeannie xxxxx

powder-puff said...

Hey tia,

Read about you over at ruby's so i came over to say im so sorry your sick!!

Hope you get better soon!

Best wishes

peace out
puff

Lacy said...

woofies Sitka and Tia...me sooo sorrwy u sick Tia,, take care of uself and do watt dat dogtor says..Happy birfday even tho u gots to b a the vets....Sitka, its ok u sissy b home soon.....

b safe,
;)lacylulu

Lacy said...

oops me furgot to add, u will b in our thots and prayers, for a verwy speedy recovery...

;)lacylulu and mama

Jackson said...

Poor Tia, I'm so sorry she's going to miss spending her birthday with you. I'm keeping my paws crossed for her speedy recovery. J x

Quinvale AstaLaVista Baby said...

I'm very sowy, Sitka and Mum, we'll keep our paws crossed for Tia!

xxx Asta down under

Ferndoggle said...

Tia, get well soon! We have all our paws crossed that you will be OK.

Sherman, Penny & Lola

The Daily Echo said...

OH NO! Poor Tia! We're sending Sibe Vibes for a quick and complete recovery. Please keep us posted since we'll be worrying.
ECHO

Lisa said...

Awww, poor Tia! I'm so sorry she is sick and had to be put in the hospital. I hope they take good care of her so she can come home soon.

Purrs & kisses,
Lisa

Lisa said...

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, I scheduled Cocoa & Leo for their annual exam/vaccinations last Feb. 14 and didn't realize til we were on our way there that it was Cocoa's birthday. I don't think that's what he wanted to do on his birthday or ANY day either!

Roxie, Sammy and Andy said...

We were just visiting with Wilbur and he said Tia was doing poorly right before her birthday. We want to let you know we are thinking of you and Tia (and Sitka). It sounds like you found a wonderful vet to take care of her.

Roxie, Sammy & Andy

Butchy & Snickers said...

Oh no, we are so sorry to hear this. We couldn't get onto the puter Friday or Sat. hardly at all cause the puter was broke. Mama spent 11 hours working on it. We are so bummed about Tia. Our Papa has had pancreatitis before. He was lucky & the attack lasted only 2 weeks & he has been fine ever since. We've heard of dogs with this & they end up fine too, but sometimes need to have special diets & medications. So we're sure Tia will get through this just fine. We hope she is home soon so you can love her up & care for her.
Tell her Happy Birfday from us!
Luv & Wirey Hugs!
Butchy & Snickers

Holly said...

Lots of big hugs from us! We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery! I sure hope she can come home soon!

holly

Riley & Tiki said...

Poor Tia! We are purring and woofing that she feels better soon and gets to come home soon.

Riley, Tiki, & Kesey

cyber-sibes said...

Sending more sibe vibes that Tia is getting better. Come on, sweetheart!

Woos & a-roos,
Star & Jack

Mud Monster & DWB said...

Aww Shelli -- We were reading Wilbur's blog and saw his post. So we dropped by to send our love and wishes to you & your family. We will be praying that Tia is home, healthy and happy soon.

Husky hugs & kisses,
Quincy & Tristin

The Army of Four said...

Sorry we haven't left comments 'til now - just emails! You know we're praying for our favorite girl kitty!
Tail wags,
Storm

Scruffy & Lacie said...

Oh Dear...we don't know Tia, but we heard of her illness from Ruby...we are sending huge boxes of Terrier zen...scented with catnip so we don't scare poor Tia...we hope she feels much better and that Pan Crea Titis leaves her alone...and that she feels much better soon...
Scruffy, Lacie and Babystan