Monday, December 8, 2008

My Left Hip

Wooo Puppers, Kit-Kats, and Hamsters... I hope you all had a FAB weekend! It has been pretty quiet around here lately... except for last Friday. Mom took me to the vets for some hip x-rays! She was a little concerned with the funny walk I had been doing. Sometimes I would walk like I was a little stiff legged!

Anyroo, mom wanted to have me checked out to make sure I didn't have anything weird going on. So, they x-rayed my knees, feet, and hips and didn't find anything too awful. They did find that the femoral head of my left hip doesn't sit in as far as the right one does. They said this is why my gate may be "off" at times. They said this was a minor problem and should not require any surgery. I may develop some arthritis when I get older, so mom started me on Cosequin DS to get a head start! Here is some more "technical" stuff on my hips from my mom....

Sitka's Vet said that on a scale of 1 to 4, she would rate Sitka's left hip issue a 1 (the least serious). The femoral head is not scraping or striking the acetabulum, and is not in danger of dislocating. It is about 1/2 seated inside the hip, but to pass the OFA test they would prefer it to be 3/4. There's no evidence of any arthritic changes, but she could develop some arthritis in the future. We'll just have to watch it.

Sitka's Vet also said that moderate exercise is OK, just not to overdo it (stairs are OK in moderation, for example). Sitka weighs 46.1 lbs, up three lbs from end of June. Makes sense because she is finally eating regular meals! Her Vet was not concerned with the weight gain once we explained how her eating had changed. We also told her that her exercise had increased as well because she had a play mate in the house on "her level".

I am very glad that we took Sitka in so that we know what is going on, and hopefully we can prevent somethings down the road.

Sitka again... So, this weekend was pretty "chill" since I was a bit sore from the moving they did to me for the x-rays! Cornelia Marie and I have wanted to PLAY PLAY PLAY but mom has told us we needed to take it easy. Ok... so, how is this for taking it easy?

Ahhh I love my little sister! Another cool thing! I got a new bed out of this hip deal! Mom found a memory foam dog bed at Walmart this weekend for 40 bucks! Can you believe it? It is pretty comfy, I have to admit. Well, I need to continue reading your blogs... I am almost caught up...again!

Hugs,
Sitka

26 comments:

Cyber-sibes said...

That's pretty good woos about your hip. Sitka. And woo got a new bed? Khool!

Woos & a-roos,
Star & Jack a-roo
PeeEss; your mama wanted to know about the font on our header - its called Night Sky, mom will e-mail woo from SMS with link.

Lady Kaos said...

Glad to hear you're okay and that you got a gift out of it! Mom and Dad added some memory foam to my big pillow bed and I love it!
Kaos

The Army of Four said...

$40 bucks!?!? Your mom is quite the Super Shopper herself! Ha roooooo!
You babes look so gorgeous sprawled on the couch - WOWZERS!!! Can I come over? Hey... I didn't think CM could jump up there yet!
Play bows,
Zim

Princess Eva and Brice said...

Sounds like your mom has great plan to protect your hip.

And napping on the couch is always good.


Princess Eva

Noah the Airedale said...

Hi Sitka
Glad to hear your hip isn't too bad. I had a hip x-ray a few months back and hated it. I was so sore afterwards.

Take care.
Noah x

The Thundering Herd said...

Good news on the hip problem that it does not sound too serious. We all have our little "glitches", so we think it just adds to our appeal.

Randi said...

Sitka - you take care of yourself..& make sure you break in that new bed...& get lots of extra TLC from your peoples!

Love & Licks,
Randi

Super Boy & Baby-Licious said...

We are glad that it is nothing serious. And we are sure that bed look great!

Love
Boy n Baby

Kapp pack said...

Glad to hear woo are all ok!

Kisses, Sky boy

Bae Bae said...

You doggies are doing well at the chill thing. I hope you have a pawsome weekend too

~ Bae

Tracey and Huffle said...

That is good news about your hip. And if you and CM get any more relaxed you might fall off the couch.

Huffle Mawson, Honorary Husky and Explorer Cat

Cassidy said...

I'm glad there's nothing really wrong wioth your hips Sitka. Mummy says I am going to have my hips scored soon just to see how they are and becuase I injured myself when I was a little puppy (trying to counter surf!)

Nibbles
Cassidy x

Cassidy said...

I'm glad there's nothing really wrong wioth your hips Sitka. Mummy says I am going to have my hips scored soon just to see how they are and becuase I injured myself when I was a little puppy (trying to counter surf!)

Nibbles
Cassidy x

Simba said...

Looks like you had a fun weekend.

Simba x

Kodak the Eskie said...

You sure know how to relax! I have problems sometimes with my back left leg too. My mommy will be taking me in for x-rays too. We are glad it isn't anything too serious for you.

Hugs, Kodak

Sophie Brador said...

Sitka! These hips and knees were got stuck with are not always the best, but at least we are, right? Hang in there sweetie. You're still gorgeous.

xo
SB

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Maybe you need one of those sleep number beds for dogs. Or just your very own human size one.

Steve

Maggie and Mitch said...

It sounds like you'll be getting the best hip care ever from your mom, Sitka! Enjoy your new bed!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Once upon a time, I rekhall when woo were the only pup on the khouch!

My how time flies!

Glad woo are okay!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Painter Pack said...

Good news on the hip thingy...You take care of yourself!!!

Mya Boo Boo

Simcha said...

hip hip hooooray!
While your hips may not be perfect! Your heart is. I didn't know they made memory foam beds for us sibes! Your mom must really love you

Simcha
(who wants a memory foam bad too)

Comet and BLU said...

We're glad that your hip problem isn't something more serious. Plus, you can use it to your advantage. Since you got a new bed out of the deal, maybe if you limp on purpose, you can get a few extra cookies "for the pain" too.
Comet and BLU

Maverick the Pirate said...

Harrrrr Sitka
hope you get lots of treat Harrrr.
The bed yer mom got you sounds comfy Harrrrr.
Cap'n Maverick the Pirate

Charlie said...

Hey Sitka & Cornelia Marie!

Glad you got a new bed, that pawsome :) Stop by my blog sometime, I'd love to be pals!

Thor and Marco Polo and 3 Kats said...

WOO WOO Sitka

We are sorry you had to go to the vet but we are glad they figured out what was going on with you and a NEW BED!!
That's a great thing!

Hugs
Thor and Marco Polo

Snowball said...

Poor Sitka. I think you should come with me to the beach to swim. It will help you loads.

Rest well and get better soon.

Luv
Snowball