Monday, February 15, 2010

Prayers for Sitka

Hi to all of our friends... Some of you are aware of this per Facebook, but to those who are not on Facebook, I wanted to let all of my furkids friends know what is going on with Sitka. We had to rush her to the University of Georgia Veterinary school yesterday in a life or death situation. Below are the updates I have posted on Facebook. I will hope to continue to post the updates to the girls' blog as we continue to receive more information on Sitka's condition.

Thank you all for your prayers through this difficult time. We are not out of the woods.

Day 1: ER Vet and Trip to UGA
First off, I want to thank everyone who has commended on my posts and my friends posts wishing us good thoughts and healing vibes for our daughter, Sitka. I would also like to thank Veronica, her husband Randy, my Mom and Dad for coming to UGA's ve school today to be with Jeremy, Cornelia Marie, and myself. Karen, Penny, Shelly, Valerie, Andrea, and Tiffany - thank you for your calming thoughts and conversations yesterday and today. And to everyone else with your text messages and personal emails, they mean more to us than you can imagine right now. And I promise to respond to all of them.

Friday night Sitka started to dry heave. By Saturday Morning she was having some odd breathing. We took her to the vet and she suspected acid reflux. Saturday continued, and breathing got worse. Took her to ER vet in Gray (Dr. Gadd) and received the best treatment. Treated for asthma and the onset of pneumonia as that was what her films and actions were showing. This morning, she was getting worse. We called Dr. Gadd and she met us at her clinic. The hope/plan was to admit her for IV steroid treatment. After more chest xrays, she was getting worse. We got her referred to UGA Vet School and made the hardest drive that we ever could. We were racing the clock as there was a significant chance that Sitka could die on the drive. I thank my husband for being strong holding her in the back of our Jeep, for Cornelia Marie staying close to Sitka, and to God for providing me the strength I needed and for getting us all safely to Athens.

At this point, we don't have any firm answers. But we are on the way to them. The diagnosis now is that it is not asthma. She has a tear somewhere that is allowing air to fill around her lungs. More than a gallon of air has been drained from around them. They are currently inserting a chest tube to help remove the air from her until tomorrow. Tomorrow will begin the search to see where the tear is.

My three furry animals are my children. I would move heaven and earth to get them the care they need. God gave Sitka the strength to fight on the drive to Athens. We thought about 30 min away that we were about to lose her. But God got us there and helped Sitka to fight. Now she is in the hands of some of the best vets around.

She is stable, but is still very critical. We are not out of the woods yet. Please keep those positive vibes and thoughts coming. We need each and every one of them. She will be 6 in March and is too young to leave this world. I feel like I have been hit by a mac truck. Friday, Sitka was such a happy girl, playing in the snow and enjoying life. Last night and today, she was literally fighting for her life. Life can change THAT fast.

I love you Sitka. I am here for you, though I am 2 hours away. I am staying strong for you and want you to get better and come home to your family. You be the best patient you can be and do your job with the vets to get back on your feet and home to us. I love you my sweet daughter.

Day 1: (Sun) 7:30 pm Update:

7:30 pm update (Last of the night):

Chest Tube is in and the air pump is running. Breathing is almost back to normal. Heart rate is normal. But this is due to the chest tube/pump. She has her head up and is looking around. She is on a narcotic for pain. This has been sufficient to keep her calm. We asked about the incision they made for the chest tube. She said it was only about a centimeter, but they went ahead and shaved her chest almost bald for sanitary sake. They have not been able to determine the cause or location of the tear, but they will work on that tomorrow. Coincidentally, they have had some other similar cases involving Siberian Huskies. While some dogs don't require surgery to fix this, they have found Siberians that they have treated tended to require surgery. We are not out of the woods yet, but they are feeling better about her condition compared to what they saw at noon today when we got her there. There is a team of techs and a doctor on call through the night and someone is with her at all times (which is a HUGE relief to me). She is also receiving IV fluids and is urinating alot. We will know more when the doctors call back in the morning between 730 and 8 and will go from there. Pray they don't need us overnight.

Day 2 at UGA, AM Update:
Talked with the Dr. at UGA. She is resting comfortably. Her breathing stayed normal overnight. Her blood oxygen levels right now are not as high as they would like them to be. But are not critically bad either. They think this would be the result of either A. Some level of damage to the lungs or B. Some sort of lung disease (like asthma). She also seems to have a mild heart arrhythmia. They are not really worried about this as long as it doesn't effect her BP. Which it doesn't appear to. And she only seems to have the arrhythmia when she is asleep (when awake, it is nonexistent). Since she has never had an EKG, the doctor thinks it is possible she may have always had it, but they are going to continue to watch it. Haven't completely ruled out asthma. When they took the xrays of her lungs yesterday, they didn't look normal but one of today's jobs will to be determining whether that was caused by the air compression or asthma. At this time, we are just in a waiting/holding state for them to continue to do diagnostic work.

They will be having a team meeting this morning to decide whose case Sitka will be transferred to. Then we will hear from that doctor and get a report. Hopefully between 9-11 this morning.

I have posted two other updates from yesterday that tell what happened to get us to this point. So if by chance you are interested and missed those, please look in my notes to catch up.


FurX4 said...

We are continuing to pray for all of you. Thank you for providing us updates.
God Bless and keep you all.
Webb Ranch

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Thoughts, prayers & strong Sibe Vibes are with you and Sitka!

Marlene, Cosmos & Juneau

Faya said...

We are praying a lot for sweet Sitka. Kisses, Faya & Dyos & VĂ©ronique

Randi said...

Oh no!

We are sending lots of pawsitve energy & good vibes for Sitka & all of you... We will be saying prayers for her speedy & safe recovery...

6 is WAY TOO YOUNG & Sitka has LOTS of years in her yet, to bring you smiles & snuggles..

We love you Sitka...please stay strong & know we are all thinking of you!

Love & Lots of Healing Licks,
Randi & her peoples

Cyber-sibes said...

Contiinuing to hold you all in our hearts & prayers... sending super-size Sibe Vibes!

Jack, Moo, & Pat

ra_husky said...

prayers and pawsitive sibe vibes for woo miss Sitka!!


Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

We have all our paws crossed for Sitka and you!

The Army of Four said...

We love ALL of you!!! We continue to say tons of prayers for Sitka -
The Ao4 and K.

The Bumpass Hounds said...

We are new friends sent over by our blog buddies Dave, Zim, Storm and Amber = The Army of Four. We decided to come back to the first post about the incident and read up from threr. what a terrifying experience to find such a problem with one of your beloved furkids. Thank GOD for friends to help you through this.